Cyber activity has become an
important part of everyday life of the general public.
~ Importance of computer forensics:
• 85% of business and government
agencies detected security breaches
• FBI estimates that the United States
loses up to $10 billion a year to
History of computer forensics
~Francis Galton (1822-1911)
• Made the first recorded study of fingerprints
~Leone Lattes (1887-1954)
• Discovered blood groupings (A,B,AB, & 0)
~Calvin Goddard (1891-1955)
• Allowed Firearms and bullet comparison
for solving many pending court cases
~Albert Osborn (1858-1946)
• Developed essential features of document examination
~Hans Gross (1847-1915)
• Made use of scientific study to head criminal investigations
• A Lab was set up to provide forensic services to all field agents and
other law authorities throughout the country.
“Application of physical sciences to law in the
search for truth in civil, criminal and social
behavioral matters to the end that injustice shall
not be done to any member of society”
(Source: Handbook of Forensic Pathology College of
American Pathologists 1990)
–Aim: Determining the evidential value of crime scene and related evidence.
“A methodical series of techniques and procedures for
gathering evidence, from computing equipment and
various storage devices and digital media, that can be
presented in a court of law in a coherent and meaningful format”.