Ethical Hacking and ethical hacker are terms used to describe hacking performed by a company or individual to help identify potential threats on a computer network.
What constitutes ethical Hacking
For hacking to be deemed ethical,the hacker must obey the following rules:
- Expressed permission to probe the network and attempt to identify potential security risks .
- You respect the individuals or companies privacy.
- You let the software developer or hardware manufacturer know of any security vulnerabilities you locate in their software or hardware, if not already known by the company.
Types of Hackers
- Black Hat
- White Hat
- Grey Hat
Black Hat hackers are also known as crackers, They find banks or other companies with weak security and steal money or credit card information.The surprising truth about their methods of attack is that they often use common hacking practices they learned only.
- Very dangerous person
- Always have motive to eran huge profit.
- Highly paid persous
- Evolves themselves mostly in criminal activities.
- This could coders admins.
Also known as Ethical Hackers, the most popular certification is CEH from the EC council.They are one who are holding all the security of peoples.
- These are good hackers
- Have genuine licence to hack
- Have registered police records
- Evolves themselves in good works.
- Generally owned by companies for security designing.
- Have high pay scale.
Grey Hat hackers are those who act as Black Hat as well as White Hat hackers.They don’t steal money or information ,yet they don’t help people for good.
- Also known as Red hat
- Perform both tasks fair as well as unfair
- Generally these are admins.
- Have little high than white hat.
They are the one who did’t care about hacking they copy the code and use as virus or an SQL or something else. They did’t hack for themselves .
If a script kiddie took a revenge ,he/she might become a blue hat. Most blue hats are noobz ,but like script kiddies ,they have no desire to learn.
Advantages of Ethical Hacking
- Testing Security Measures:The primary advantage of having ethical hackers on a company payroll is that the hackers are allowed to test a company’s security measures in a control, safe environment.
- Finding vulnerable areas:When the white hat hackers finish exploring the company’s system,they turn in a report on the systems vulnerable areas.These areas can be related to technology ,such as lack of sufficient password encryption, or in human based systems, such as administrators who give out passwords to unauthorised personnel.
- Understanding Hackers Technique:Techniques white hat hackers can also demonstrate the techniques used by unethical invaders .These demonstration serve to show management how thieves , terrorists and vandals can attack their systems and destroy their business.
Skills of Ethical Hacker:
- Password guessing and cracking.
- Session hijacking
- Session spoofing
- Network traffic sniffing
- Denial of service attacks
- SQL injection
An ethical hacker must be computer systems expert and needs to have very strong programming and computer network skills .